IKEA publishes 2018 catalogue
BURLINGTON, Ontario – IKEA Canada will distribute some seven million printed copies of its 2018 catalogue over the coming week, saying its pages will offer large selection of new products as well as lower prices on many of its existing products.
Canadians living in markets with IKEA stores and pick-up and order points are expected to receive their copies this week.
In a statement, the company said the theme of this year’s catalogue – one of the few still published in Canada for mass distribution – is Make Room for Life and focuses on the living room, which it describes as “the hardest working room of the home and one that is full of different activities throughout the day.” The catalogue will present a new take on this multi-functional space.
“The IKEA catalogue continues to be an integral part of our marketing communication plan and a means to enable and inspire a better everyday life at home,” IKEA Canada head of marketing Lauren MacDonald said. “It is iconic, synonymous with inspiration, and highly anticipated by our customers every summer.”
She noted IKEA gathers extensive knowledge to truly understand how customers live their lives at home through market research, home visits and customer surveys. Last year, 250 home visits were conducted in Canada alone. These insights help to inform on product design to meet the changing needs of the consumer. As a result, two key trends were discovered to have the biggest impact on how people use their living room today: urbanization and technology.
“The world has seen more change in the last 20 years than in the 200 years before that,” said Kathy Davey, IKEA Canada’s head of interior design. “Urbanisation and technology have reformed our lives and our homes, creating an opportunity to break conventions around the traditional living room and redefine this space.”
In addition to the shift in theme this year, new features of the 2018 IKEA Catalogue include:
- A 12-page insert that includes discounted offers for specific dates in the remainder of 2017, new items, new lower prices and affordable accent pieces;
- Feature pages for the five most popular IKEA product families: HEMNES, BESTÅ, MALM, PAX, KOMPLEMENT & KIVIK;
- Bright, colour-coded chapters to enable an easy overview of the content;
- Navigation in the digital IKEA Catalogue is also colour-coded, making it more intuitive and user-friendly;
- This year's IKEA catalogue app provides deeper content, including films connected to the printed version that provide more information about the solutions presented;
- 14 feature stories around three aspects of Make Room for Life: life at home, the societal impact of IKEA and design & innovation.
The IKEA Catalogue is available in three formats: print, digital and in an app called IKEA catalogue, which will be free to download on both the App Store and Google Play later this week. The digital catalogue is available now at: www.IKEA.ca/Catalogue. It is also available in French.
Physical copies will be available in IKEA stores across Canada as of August 26.
For the first time, the catalogue will be delivered to homes in and around Halifax, where IKEA will open its newest full-size store later this year.