Four consumers discuss buying a living room for their home
BRIGHTON, Ontario – Good retailers are forever asking themselves, what does the customer really want? It’s a question they ponder every day. Well, in the first of what we hope will be a great many instalments, Home Goods Online gathered four professional women and asked them to talk about buying the perfect living room for their home.
Their conversation was moderated by HGO’s Corrie-Ann Knell earlier this year. The four range in age from 25 to 42 and each selected a different style as their preference in creating the ideal living room for their home.
We asked each to describe the process they used to determine how and where to buy their ideal living room as the goal was to show how women different ages purchase furniture. They were also asked about their use of the Internet – was it simply for research or did they use it to purchase their choice.
They also talked about the budget each had struck for themselves; the importance and role played by accessories and other accents in their decision making as well as about their experiences in dealing with sales people and how they held e-commerce purveyors accountable.
Each of the four was asked to choose a style. The questions they were asked stemmed from that choice and included:
- What spoke to you about this style?
- If you were to recreate this in your home, where would you start?
- Do you always shop online, or, do you always shop in store?
- Have you or would you purchase a sofa online?
- Which stores would you go to first to find this?
- When was the last time you purchased furniture?
- What was your store experience like?
- Did you find exactly what you were looking for?
- Was the staff friendly and helpful?
- What “turns you off” about sales people and what are positive attributes to sales people that would make you come back to them?
- When shopping at a furniture store, would you purchase the corresponding décor items (such as pillows, rugs, lamps, accent tables, wall art) if it was available?
- Are you more likely to go online to by these accessories?
- Or, would you go to a store that specialises in these items?
We also asked them about financing. Their answers were interesting, to say the least.