contact HGO      +1 613.475.4704

 Home / Article: Article to expand HQ

Article to expand HQ

 11 April 2017     Michael J. Knell 

VANCOUVER – Article, the Canadian e-commerce furniture and home décor retailer, will relocate its headquarters from the Railtown district here to a new head office and regional distribution facility in the Strathcona neighbourhood as part of its effort to facilitate their ongoing growth.

The 115,000 square foot historic building – located at 1010 Raymur Avenue – is 20 times larger than its current facility.

In a statement, the privately-held company said the upper level of the building will be transformed into an open-concept office to facilitate seamless collaboration and provide creative spaces for Article’s in-house photography team.

The existing Article head office, seen here, is expanded to move into a renovated 115,000 square facility in Vancouver’s Strathcona neighbourhood sometime this summer.The space has a modern-industrial aesthetic, featuring exposed wood timber and concrete, and will be outfitted with Article furniture. With room for up to 300 employees, the company expects the new office to fulfill their staff requirements for many years to come. Article currently employs 80 people, and expects to grow to more than 150 by the end of 2017.

“We experienced more than 6X growth in 2016 which meant that we needed to find a space that could accommodate our continued growth,” said Aamir Baig, Article’s co-founder, director and chief executive officer. “We’re expanding in every aspect of our business. We’re hiring more staff, we’re increasing our product range and we’re developing new technologies to make the process for buying designer furniture more efficient. A new, larger office space was necessary at this stage in our growth, and we wanted to find a location that checked off all of the boxes on our wish list.”

A research and development centre for new warehousing technology will be part of the new facility allowing the Article team to test and validate new ideas before implementing them across its warehouse network. Part of the building will also serve as a warehouse to fulfill orders in Western Canada. The company currently has warehouses in Seattle, Los Angeles and New Jersey, with combined capacity of 375,000 square feet.

A company spokesman told Home Goods Online customers in Eastern Canada are serviced from New Jersey and works with local providers to deliver furniture directly to the customer.

“2017 is going to be an important year for us, and expanding our office resources and building our warehouse network are the first steps we’re taking to set ourselves up for ongoing success,” Baig continued.

Last year, Article delivered more than 25,000 orders, and since the start of 2017 has already shipped more than 9,000 orders to customers across the U.S. and Canada. Article currently has a $120 million annual revenue run rate and anticipates this will continue to grow rapidly as more consumers trust the value and experience the company can provide.

Currently, approximately 80% of Article’s sales revenue is from the U.S. with the remaining 20% coming from Canada.

Its assortment is sourced from craftsman and manufacturers in Vietnam, China, Indonesia and India with more than 450 unique SKUs being exclusive to the Article brand, whose product range includes living, dining, bedroom and outdoor furniture as well as accessories.

Baig has indicated he want’s Article to be a billion dollar brand at some point in the next three to five years.


Tempurpedic
Serta
This HGO article was written by:
Michael J. Knell
Michael J. Knell

Michael is the publisher and editor of Home Goods Online. A seasoned business journalist, he has researched and written about the furniture, mattress and major appliance industries in both Canada and the United States for the past three decades.


The HGO Merchandiser
Summer 2017
Summer 2017
Spring 2017
Spring 2017
Winter 2016
Winter 2016
Fall 2016
Fall 2016

 View all editions of The HGO Merchandiser.

  About HGO

Home Goods Online.ca and its accompanying newsletter - HGO This Week - covers the furniture, bedding, appliances, consumer electronics, accessories, lamps and lighting and floor coverings product sectors of the big ticket home goods market in Canada. HGO is also a forum for the dissemination of market research and hard-hitting articles on best practices for Canadian retailers.

  Contact Us
  Home Goods Online

Published by:
Windsor Bay Communications Inc.
P.O. Box 3023; 120 Ontario Street,
Brighton ON Canada K0K 1H0

Tel : 613.475.4704

Fax : 613.475.0829
Mail : contact us